Bray Brick Works or Bog hall Brick Works

Early Ordinance Survey map of area, before the Brick Works
Ordinance Survey of Ireland from c1838
Ordinance Survey map from about 1909 showing Brick Works
Ordinance Survey of Ireland from c1909
J E McCormick advertisement of Business in Bray from 1901
Image reference Advert from Bray and South Dublin Herald , Saturday 23rd of March 1901, page 10

The Brickworks at Bog Hall were one mile from Bray off the road to Kilmacanogue, in the townland of Oldcourt and was 200 feet above sea level. The clay at the site of the brickworks was a rusty brown colour. In 1860 an add was placed in the Freemans Journal, that mentioned that an opportunity could be had in Brick manufacturing in Bray and went as below.

“Bricks, Bricks – To be sold, immediately adjoining the town of Bray, three acres of Superior BRICK CLAY. With a first-rate market at hand, it is needless to say that such an investment is well worth the attention of capitalists. Apply to G Roe Esq Westland Row.

In the of 1909 it was recorded in an article about an arbitration that the land of Oldcourt with brick clay was owned and occupied by J E McCormick and that Mr. McCormick held the lease dated 1877 from Alexander Durdon. Though it is recorded that the land was originally leased by William O McCormick. It also recorded that this land was used as a brick works and there was brick clay in the soil. We also know that the bricks were free from calcined pebbles which is common in bricks made of Boulder Clay. The owner of the brickworks was Mr. James Ernest McCormick and was run or overseen by a family named Murphy.

In 1880 the Freemans Journal had an add which went as follows “Bricks; Large machine-made Bricks delivered in wagons to Harcourt Street, Dundrum, Foxrock, Dalkey Kingstown and Greystones Stations. Prices and samples from Bog Hall Brick Works, Bray.

The Brickworks survived into the early 1900’s and in 1901 was called the Bray Brick Works. Though it is unclear when the Brick Works were closed, all we know is that nothing remains of the Brick Works today.

James Ernest McCormick

James Ernest George Frederick McCormick was born in about 1857 and was the son of Coal merchant George Ormsby McCormick and Maria Emily nee Hearne. His father was a merchant and Ship owner with premises in Kingstown now Dun Laoghaire County Dublin. James was married to Annie Maria Deacon and in 1885 they were living in bray and in that year he was recorded as a member of the Council for Bray. In 1911 he was residing in Blackrock and was a widower aged 54. He later went to reside in Killiney, where he died in 1931.

Bibliography

Abstract of the Proceedings of the Liverpool Geological Society, Liverpool Geological Society, 1870

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.