Tonygarrow Bullaun Stone

The Bullaun stone at Rathdrum County Wicklow
Image from - The journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, The royal Society of Antiquities of Ireland, Vol XLIII, 1913, page 170

The townland of Tonygarrow is to the west of Powerscourt Demesne, near Glencree, between the townlands of Cloon and Oldboleys. The townland gets its name from the Gaelic Tamhnaigh garbh, which translates to “rough field” The stone is located at a site called the Relic. The stone is a large flat rock with a circular basin measuring 16” in diameter and 8 and a half inches deep. The stone was used to cure warts.

Bibliography

Price, Liam Rock-Basins or Bullauns at Glendalough and Elsewhere, The journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, The royal Society of Antiquities of Ireland, Vol LXXXIX, 1959, page 170

Price, Liam The Price Notebooks, Volume 1 and Volume 2, (editors Christiaan Corlett and Mairead Weaver), An Roinn Comhshaoil agus Rialtais ítiúil / Department of the Environment and Local Government, 2002

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.