The Obelisk at the southern side of Bray Head, was 10 foot tall and constructed of concrete and in 1932 was described as “covered with the initials of those who have climbed to it”. The monument was built by Major William G Morris JP of Windgates House to commemorate Queen Victoria’s diamond Jubilee, which was in 1897. It was destroyed in November 1933 by explosives that uprooted the obelisk from its foundations.
Major Morris was William George Morris who died in 1909 aged 57. He was the son of John Morris and was married to Caroline Henrietta Morris from Wexford in 1876. She pre deceased him. There is a stained glassed window dedicated to the couple in Christchurch in Delgany. The couple had a son George William Sterne Morris who sold Windgates House. He was a Major in the Royal Artillery and in 1918 was awarded the DSO.