This simple, two-storey, detached structure with gable roof was built on the dividing line between the two main housing estates in Greystones. One was the La Touche Estate and the other was the Hawkins- Whitshed Estate. These families were the main land holders in and around the town of Greystones.
The Greystones Railway Station was constructed in 1860 at a cost of £3,000. The contractor was Daniel Crowe and Sons, of 55 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin. The architect was George Wilkinson who also designed several other stations including Dalkey, Wicklow and Harcourt Street. Originally the station building consisted of a ticket office and other station rooms on the ground floor, and living accommodation for the Station Master on the first floor. Station masters over the years include Hugh McElheron, Henry Walker, John Martin and Peter Farrelly.
The station campus included, apart from the station building, a store house, a turn table, a signal hut and a railway bridge amongst other structures. Today, the turntable is filled in, and the storage building has been demolished to make way for a carpark.