Rath or Ringfort at Coolnaskeagh
Coolnaskeagh is a town land located west of Coolnagad and south of Templecarrick Upper. Coolnaskeagh derives its name from the Irish “Cul or Cuil na sceach, which translates to “the hill back or corner of the thorn bushes”. The rath at Coolnaskeagh was location in the south of the townland and was approach by a small track. The rath or ringfort was known locally as the Raheen.
Canon Price in Stones of Bray refers to the Rath as “a fine specimen of a rath for this part of Ireland”. Scott goes on to say that the Rath had a “high rampart of stones and earth, enclosing a circular space thirty-five to forty yards in diameter”. When Scott visited the rath there was no evidence of houses that would have stood within the rampart. The Rath would have protected the house of a chieftain in that area.
Scott, George Digby (1884) The Stones of Bray, Cualann Publications, Bray.
Price, Liam; Place names of County Wicklow, The Barony of Rathdown, Volume 5, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Dublin (1957)