Kilruddery House 1872
A Guide to the County of Wicklow ; illustrated by engravings, with a large map of the County, from actual survey, G.N.Wright, George Petrie, W. Wakeman, Dublin, 1872.

In 1207, King John granted Diarmuid, son of Domnall and lord of Rathdown, “all the land of which his father held, which had 15 carucates in the Vale of Dublin, and 1 burghage in Dublin”, which was to be held by him and his heirs “ by service of one knight’s fee, and two otter skins, to be paid on the feast of St. Michael to the King’s Exchequer in Dublin.” Much of this was about restoring land previously held by the family, but confiscated by the Norse.

Diarmuid leased Kilrothery (now Kilruddery) to Richard de la Felde.,De la Felde subsequently sublet Kilrothery to the new Norman Abbey of St. Thomas, founded in honour of Thomas A Becket. The Royal road ‘le Windgates’ was the boundary line of the Abbey land.

Smal, Chris (1993) Ancient Rathdown and St. Crispin’s Cell, A uniquely historic landscape, Friends of Historic Rathdown, Greystones.


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.