THE GRAVEYARD

Image by J. Harrington

There is some debate over whether there was a graveyard surrounding the site of St. Crispin’s Cell. Almost certainly, the Cell would seem to have been intended as a church of ease, and as such would be unlikely to have attracted burial. However, there are references to a graveyard which may have occupied the site until the 17th century. This graveyard is supposed to have been cleared, and the disinterred bodies and gravestones buried elsewhere.

O’Flanagan, M.1928, Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the County of Wicklow, collected during the progress of the Ordinance Survey in 1838. Reproduced under the duration of Rev. Michael O’ Flanagan, Bray. Pages 39-41

McIlreavy, David, Preliminary Excavation Report for St. Crispin’s Cell, Rathdown Upper, Co. Wicklow. On behalf of Greystones Tidy Towns, 24th October, 2019

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this