CAPTAIN TARRANT'S FARMHOUSE
This two-storey building was constructed c. 1710, and was occupied by Charles Tarrant from 1771.
The flint-like random stonework is very striking. It is believed that several of the granite slabs used in the construction were taken from the ruins of Rathdown Castle. The dwelling and its associated outbuildings have fallen into disrepair since its most recent occupant, Mrs. Geer, moved out in the early 1980’s.
Charles Tarrant was an accomplished architect, engineer, surveyor, cartographer, artist and antiquarian.
Many of the qualities we admire in modern Dublin can be attributed to his skills.
Smal, Chris (1993) Ancient Rathdown and St. Crispin’s Cell, A uniquely historic landscape, Friends of Historic Rathdown, Greystones.