Charlesland House (Charlesland Townland)
Charlesland house was located south of Greystones off the old Kilcoole Road and was in the townland of Charlesland. It was a long straight house approached by an avenue of trees and dated from the late 17th or early 18th century. It was demolished between 1920 and 1960. A later house was built on its site or close to it. The later house was built about 1950 and was a two storeyed three bay house in the Georgian style and this house was also demolished.
In 1757 James Gaskin was recorded as a farmer of Charlesland. In the Taylor and Skinner map of 1777 Charlesland house is shown and was the house of Mr Edwards Esq. Charlesland was advertised for summer rent in 1786, and was advertised as having a parlour, drawing room, kitchen and six bedchambers. The property had a coach house for two carriages, stabling and grazing for ten horses and with an excellent garden. It was advertised as being a half mile from the sea and one mile from the Glen of the Downs. The contact at Charlesland was Mathew Mathews.
In the Griffith valuation of about 1840. It would appear to be resided in by James Kelly or Edward Doolan, who had 100 acres while Kelly had 30 and the immediate leaser for the Charlesland area was Arthur Jones of Killincarrick House. Doolan seems to have replaced a Mr. Francis White. A Jane White was a widow when she died at Charlesland in 1844. In 1767 a farmer named Cornelius M’Daniel died, he was of Charlesland. In 1788 William Mathews died, he was a farmer from Charlesland Co Wicklow.
In 1900 Charlesland farm was recorded for sale per instructions of Francis M’Donald and the farm had just over 200 acres and was under a Judicial lease from 1894 from S E Davis. It had a substantial house (Charlesland House). The large farm buildings were located central to the holding and the land had two judicial tenants renting the lands.
The farm was bought by the Evans family in the early 1900’s, the family later built a new house on the land.