St Killian's Hall (Trafalgar Road)
St. Kilian’s was built at the end of the 19th century and originally named Trafalgar Hall. It was a two storied, four bay hall near the harbour area of Greystones. However, it was used as the Orange Lodge for many years, as Greystones had a large unionist and protestant population. Of a population of 900 people, 600 attended the Church of Ireland church.
In April 1922 during the troubles it was recorded that armed men in a lorry arrived in Greystones near Dublin and burned Trafalgar Hall in the village of Greystones. The hall was used as a meeting place for Orangemen and for some Masonic Lodge meetings. The Orange Lodge at Bray was burnt the week before. In May 1924 damages of £1431 for building works, £623 for contents and £150 for caretakers effects were awarded for the destruction caused by the fire to Trafalgar Hall in Greystones, damages were caused by fire. The building was reopened in 1928.
It was acquired by the Holy Rosary Parish as a Church Hall around 1928 and it became a Centre of the social scene in Greystones, being used as a cinema, dance hall, snooker room and Scout Hall. Even De Valera made an address at St. Killian’s around 1950. It was demolished in 2001 to make way for apartments that echo characteristics of the original Victorian building.
The Daily Colonist; Victoria BC, Tuesday April 1922 Page 2.
Greystones Presbyterian Church; Kirk Session and Committee of Greystones Presbyterian Church, Greystones (1987).