Construction of Diversion of Railway 1871
The works on the tunnel were started by 1871 under the direction of Mr. Smith, the company’s engineer in chief.
In 1872 it was recorded that the new tunnel at Bray Head was being proceeding as rapidly as possible. In 1873 the works at the tunnel were delayed due to a strike by the miners working on the tunnel, though they resumed their work after the company rescinded on paying fortnightly and agreed to pay on a weekly arrangement. In 1874 the tunnel was recorded as nearing completion and were part of the railway works which included a tunnel at Dalkey and a Bridge at Bray.
In February 1875 the new tunnel through Bray Head was completely pierced, and with this tunnel two of the three timber railway bridges avoided.
In September 1876 the new Bray Head tunnel which was 400 yards in length was inspected by the Government Inspector of Railways Col Rich and the railway engineer Mr. C Smith C. E.. The tunnel passed inspection and was deemed fit for use. On the 9th of October 1876 the trained commenced running through the new tunnel at Bray Head. While construction works were going on in 1876 a young boy aged 14 years died, his body was found at the entrance to the tunnel.
The person responsible for this was the Engineer for the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway, John Chaloner Smith. (Engineers of Ireland 1835 – 1968) Ronald C Cox.
Dublin Weekly Nation, Saturday 13 February 1875, page 3
Dublin and Wicklow Railway, Gorey Correspondent, Saturday 14th October 1876, page 1.