Jones of Killincarrig
The first Jones recorded in Killincarrick was Charles Jones (1766 – 1828) in the late 18th century, he was married to Eleanor Palmer the eldest daughter of Dr. Patrick Palmer a Professor of Trinity College Dublin. Charles would appear to have been a general goods purveyor. Charles was also a partner in the Glenmalure Lead Mine Company. Elinor (1772 – 1843) held Charles shares in the mine after his death. It would appear that their son was Arthur Jones as the daughters of Arthur and Catherine Jones are buried in the same Grave as Charles who died in 1828 aged 62.
In “The Sham Squire, and the informers of 1798” W J Fitzpatrick wrote “In the county Wicklow there was a family of the name of Jones, of Killencarrig, near Delgany. In 1815 there was a brewery kept there by a family of that name. They were Protestants quiet people, who did not meddle with politics”.
In 1837 Arthur Jones of Killincarrick House is recorded as having an extensive floor Mill at Killincarrig. Arthur was also a magistrate and a J. P. Arthur had a son named Arthur Valentine Jones in 1841, by his wife Catherine. Arthur died at Seapoint Manor in Blackrock in 1871, he was 68. Catherine and Arthur were married in 1832 in County Down. Catherine was the daughter of William S Hill Esq, of Bryanford, Co Down. The name survives in areas such as Jones Hill, which is located in the Greystones Golf Club.
Turner, Kathleen (1982) If you Seek Monuments, A guide to the antiquities of the Barony of Rathdown, Rathmichael Historical Society, Dublin.
Scott, George Digby (1884) The Stones of Bray, Cualann Publications, Bray
Schwartz, Sharron and Critchley, Martin (2014) The Silver-Lead Mines Of Glenmalure, County Wicklow: A History And An Archaeological Survey Of Extant Remains, Journal of the Mining Heritage Trust of Ireland No. 14.