Village of Killincarrig
Killincarrig was originally a small village to the South West of Greystones, the village contains a Corn Mill to the south of the village, a ruined Jacobean styled house, locally known as Killincarrick Castle (built by the Walsh family), Killincarrig House the home of the Hawkins Whitshed’s and the famous cherry orchard. The village is located on two townlands, the townland of Killincarrig and the townland of Delgany. It originally was located on the old Coach road from Dublin to Wexford.
In 1641 Killincarrig Village had a temporary Barracks to protect the property of local residents. In the mid 18th century the village was recorded as being on the main Dublin and Wexford road and had a coaching Inn. A brewery was recorded to be in Killincarrig in 1815 owned by a family named Jones. In 1840 Lewis’s guide records that Killincarrick contained 23 houses and 168 inhabitants. In 1861 the population in Killincarrig was 119 of which 39 % were Church of Ireland. Much of the old houses in village of Killincarrick have long since disappeared, though it would appear the only original houses of any considerable age are located on the west side of the old coaching road in the townland of Delgany.
In 1910, 16 labourer cottages were built in Killincarrig by the local contractor P J Kinlen. In 1919 Killincarrig was recorded in the Wicklow newsletter as having a Foresters’ Hall. Local residents have included the author Peter Driscoll and the Irish Times editor Robert Smylie.
Origins of the townland
Killincarrig was once known as Suttonstown. Liam Price in Place names of Co. Wicklow, suggests that it may have been named after the Sutton family, who held lands in County Kildare, one of this family was Gilbert de Sutton who was sheriff of Kildare in 1297. He suspected that some of this family may have held land in the parish of Delgany under the de Kenleyes, who also had a Kildare connection. The name Suttonstown or Suttonestoun was no longer in use by the 17th century.
The name Killincarrig or Killincarrick came from the Irish “coillin na carriage” which translates to “little wood of the Rock”, this could derive from the outcrop of rocks now located in the grounds of Greystones Golf Club, close to the village of Killincarrig.
Killincarrig during the rebellion of 1641
In the neighbourhood of Dublin Joyce writes “In 1641 some troops were quartered in a temporary barrack in this village to protect the property of residents in the neighbourhood. In connection with the sojourn of this garrison, it is recorded in Dudley Loftus’s minutes of the Courts Martial at Dublin Castle, that one Kathleen Farrell was arrested at Killincarrig as a spy, taken to Dublin, and sentenced to be hanged, which sentence, it may be presumed, was duly carried out.
“Another case from the same locality was that of John Bayly, a soldier, who was tried for desertion. As the penalty for this offence was usually death, there must have been some extenuating circumstances in his case, as he was merely sentenced to run the gauntlet of the soldiers stationed at Killincarrig, the soldiers armed with switches, and the culprit with his back bare and his hands tied behind him. The carrying out of this sentence probably provided a pleasant day’s amusement for the inhabitants of the village, who doubtless had anything but friendly feelings for the soldiers quartered there, and were heartily glad when the time came for their departure.”
Five miles beyond Bray, on the high road to the town of Wicklow. The castle is now in ruins. In the Usurper’s time, Captain Barrington, garrisoned at Arklow, murdered Donogh O’Doy of Killincarrick and above 500 men, protected by himself.
Finds around Killincarrig
in which several silver coins of William III were discovered in 1833.
In Wicklow: history and society (1994) It was recorded that a fulacht fiadh was recently discovered at Killincarrig near Greystones. Sherds of Late Bronze Age coarse ware and evidence for flint knapping were found close to this site. It was found by M Gowan.
Broken Socketed axes – 2005 A – Killincarrig, Co Wicklow – Only the well expanded cutting edge and the adjoining part of the body survives. There is one internal haft rib C. e 48mm – Present whereabouts not known (recorded in the NMI: IA/9/89)
In 1993 a large Fulacht Fiadh was found in the townland of Killincarrig and near this site Late Bronze age coarse ware was found. A Fulacht Fiadh is a burned mound from the bronze age and most are a low horseshoe shaped mound of charcoal enriched soil with heat shattered stone with a cooking pit to the centre.
1569 B. Lower Kindlestown Lower, Co Wicklow – Discovered while digging in the back garden of a house in 1978. – Oval mouth with beveled rim. Casting seems not well smoothed. Cutting edge is expanded. Half rib is present. Generally, well preserved except for slight pitting on surface and along the cutting edge. L 69mm, m 35 x 30m, c. e. 49mm, w 128.6 gms (pl 86, 1569 B) Dublin, National Museum of Ireland. The Socketed Bronze Axes in Ireland By George Eogan.
Pamphlet published in London in 1662, quoted by O’Connell in his Memoir of Ireland, p. 264 ; Dublin, 1843
Hannigan, Ken and Nolan, Wiilam; Wicklow : history & society, Geography Publications, Dublin (1994)
Fitzpatrick, William J; Kelly W B ; “The sham squire”; and the informers of 1798. With a view of their contemporaries. To which are added, in the form of an appendix, Jottings about Ireland seventy years ago, Simpkin Marshall & Co, London (1866)
Joyce, Weston St John; The neighbourhood of Dublin, Skellig, Dublin (1988)
Scott Canon George Digby; The Stones of Bray, Cualann Publications – Co. Wicklow (1984)